Ireland vs Britain War Fact
  • When Britain asked for and signed the treaty to end the Irish-British War they did not know that the victorious Irish Republican Army only had 112 working rifles with only 369 bullets left

More to follow

• 24 Comments sorted by
  • :uhoh: Is this what forumming has come to?

• 800 years.

• One sided rivalries :hohu:

• Ireland vs Britain War Fact 2

Following the country's victory, Ireland became the first country ever to have a female Member of Parliament, marking the Irish-British War as the first major victory of the feminist movement

More to follow

• Jesus Christ :spaz:

• I'll be supporting Éire (the island of Ireland to Irish n00bs) for this 1 I think, does Tony Cascarino still play for them?

I find Irishers take to me cos of my name even though I literally have zero Irish in me unlike most Brits, I'm a practising catholic as well of course. I've never been to Ireland cos it's basically Wales with added ginger but I suspect when I do they'll love me like Americans do. I want to check out the giant’s causeway when I go, anyone been?

• I have. Your diehard causeway fan might get a buzz out of it but for me it was smaller than expected. Overall Conclusion: underwhelming.

edit - :spaz:

• isn't it in Northern Ireland?

• Ulster, yes.

• "comrade_mario" said:
    Ireland vs Britain War Fact 2

Following the country's victory, Ireland became the first country ever to have a female Member of Parliament, marking the Irish-British War as the first major victory of the feminist movement

More to follow

You misspelled victim mate.

• Ireland vs Britain War Fact 3

The Vietcong studied the tactics of the Irish Flying Columns during the Irish-British War and used them against both the invading French and US armies, calling one offensive in 1967 after the man who invented guerilla warfare, Michael Collins. Operation Collins, as it is translated, was a resounding success and helped turn the war in the VC's favour

More to follow

• I'm not having that. Michael Collins invented Guerrilla Warfare??

• "Mingeford" said:
    I'm not having that. Michael Collins invented Guerrilla Warfare??

From Wikipedia: "the Irish Republican Army led by Michael Collins (considered to be the founder of modern Guerrilla warfare) during the Irish War of Independence"

• the fact that it's called 'Guerilla' might indicate that mario's claim might be spurious :hohu:

• he is the only one dealing in facts tbf

• "TDR" said:
    he is the only one dealing in facts tbf

From the Act of Union on 1 January 1801 until 6 December 1922, the island of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

FACT

The Irish Parliament had passed the Crown of Ireland Act 1542, proclaiming King Henry VIII of England to be King of Ireland.

FACT

Since the 12th century, the King of England had been overlord of the Lordship of Ireland, a papal possession.

FACT

• Ireland vs Britain War Fact 4

The leaders of the opposing factions had very different opinions on each other both before and after the treaty talks. Winston Churchill, leader of the British delegation asking for peace, believed Collins to be a fantastic statesman following the negotiations, this came as a surprise to him as he thought him nothing more than a rebel gunman beforehand. Collins, on the other hand, had read that Churchill was a great orator, known for his eloquent words and fiery temper. Having gained the upper hand in the treaty talks with relative ease he came away calling Churchill, 'a drunken idiot who wouldn't understand tactical warfare if he'd be dropped face first into a proper war'.

This claim was borne out to be true during World War 2 following Churchill's disasterous invasion of Norway and bitter defeat at Dunkirk, the only time Churchill was called on to lead a force into battle.

More to follow.

• "comrade_mario" said:
    [quote="Mingeford"]I'm not having that. Michael Collins invented Guerrilla Warfare??

From Wikipedia: "the Irish Republican Army led by Michael Collins (considered to be the founder of modern Guerrilla warfare) during the Irish War of Independence"[/quote]
    From Wiikipedia: Nani scored his first Premier League goal in a 2-3 defeat against Tottenham on 29 September 2012. On 31st October, Nani scored in a 5-4 League Cup defeat against Chelsea. On 5th March 2013 in a 2-1 Champions League defeat against Real Madrid, Nani was sent off after he raised his foot and hit Alvaro Arbeloa on the 56th minute and received a one-match ban. He is also a fan of comrade_mario's hair.

• Herbert Asquith, a former Liberal Prime Minster, expressed his horrow as follows: "I say deliberately that never in the lifetime of the oldest among us has Britain sunk so low in the moral scale of nations...... things are being done in Ireland which would disgrace the blackest annals of the lowest despotism in Europe". Decent, liberal, fair-minded British people in large numbers were ashamed of the deeds committed in their name and Irish-American opinion was outraged.

FACT

• Ireland vs Britain War Fact 5

Following the downgrading of the British-Kenyan war to it being considered a genocide committed by Britain it meant that Britain's last solo war had ended in a defeat to Ireland, something which was brought up repeatedly by Francis Pym when advising Margaret Thatcher on whether to enter war with Argentina over the Falklands

More to follow

• This thread is making it look a bit like these Micj lads have a bit of a chip on their shoulders.

Of course there were no chips during the potato famine :lol:

[/badjoke]

• In response to IRA actions, the British Government formed paramilitary forces to augment the RIC, the "Black and Tans" (a nickname possibly arising from their mixture of uniforms), and the Auxiliary Division (generally known as the Auxiliaries or Auxies). The behaviour of both groups immediately became controversial (one major critic was King George V) for their brutality and violence, not just towards IRA suspects and prisoners but towards Irish people in general.

Score one for the Brits.

• "MONL" said:
    He is also a fan of comrade_mario's hair.

:lol: nice work

• "Bungles Brother" said:
    [quote="MONL"]He is also a fan of comrade_mario's hair.

:lol: nice work[/quote]
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/6eadfec79dd9fe336d1e063b4cf94313/tumblr_mfn665rYfg1rqt353o1_500.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion