Live Forever
  • The Full documentary is available to watch on youtube. One of my favourite documentarys ever and well worth a watch.

    [youtube]hpidIfXXx6k[/youtube]

    Live Forever: The Rise and Fall of Brit Pop is a 2003 documentary film written and directed by John Dower. The documentary is a study of popular culture in the United Kingdom during the mid to late 1990s. The focus of the piece is British popular music (Britpop), which underwent a resurgence during the mid-1990s and then seemingly retreated with similar haste towards the end of that decade.

    The political landscape of the time also features. Much is made of Tony Blair and New Labour's efforts to align themselves with the distinctly British cultural resurgence that was underway. The documentary features a number of prominent UK musical and artistic figures, but relies heavily on contributions from Noel & Liam Gallagher of Oasis, Damon Albarn of Blur and Jarvis Cocker of Pulp. Other contributors include 3D from Massive Attack, Louise Wener from Sleeper, fashion designer Ozwald Boateng and modern artist Damien Hirst.


    Tony Mc Carroll's book is the best read I've had in years. A must have for any music fan http://stopcryingyourheartoutnews.blo...
    Get your copy here http://www.johnblakepublishing.co.uk/...
     
  • 67 Comments sorted by
  • Bookmarked, top man x
     
  • Watch out for Liam's "what does androgynous mean?" thing at the end.
     
  • The Creation documantay was enjoyable. I'll give this a whirl :thumbup:
     
  • I haven't seen that yet - I think it's on netflix though so I'll check it out later
     
  • Well worth a watch, especially for the JAMC / teeange fanclub / MBV stuff.
     
  • I'll stick it on tonight before bed I reckon - maybe while I chill out in the bath with a beer.
     
  • will watch this later

    as above, thought the Creation records one was good for the MBV and JAMC stuff
     
  • Not sure if I've ever seen thus :thumbup: the creation one is great.

    I am annoyed I could have gone to a screening of the Stone Roses doc on Thursday but when it went onsale no one wanted to come with me and now it's sold out >(
     
  • This is half depressing me because it feels so long ago and British life is clearly inferior now and half making me want go out and get cunted.
     
  • Prob is back then we were younger and life was a fuck lot simpler, so it will always seem a freer, easier time >(

    Born in 1981 btw
     
  • "Looks like a shit house anyway" :lol:
     
  • "Volvo" said:
    This is half depressing me because it feels so long ago and British life is clearly inferior now and half making me want go out and get cunted.


    I'm not sure life is inferior but the music scene is unless you're a Ronson (probably) - I was at uni 1994-98 and it was an awesome time with Blur, Oasis, Pulp, etc.
     
  • Just rewatched it and Damon Albarn comes across as a right dick.
     
  • "Santa's Bulging Sack" said:
    Watch out for Liam's "what does androgynous mean?" thing at the end.


    :lol: 'so what, like a bird?'

    also, Noel :adore: genuinely hilarious
     
  • "Santa's Bulging Sack" said:
    Just rewatched it and Damon Albarn comes across as a right dick.


    Because he is, sadly. :-(
     
  • How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece
     
  • TRUE STORY: my friend is the illegitimate son of alan mcgee, he found this out a few years ago. alan mcgee wanted nothing to do with him and cut him off entirely and now he's a homeless crack addict :'(
     
  • your mate is gutted :lol:
     
  • He seems fairly upbeat. Bloody LOVES his crack, and smack too
     
  • He's not the mayor of Toronto is he?
     
  • :adore: [youtube]shJUeIr9TDk[/youtube]
     
  • Fuck off with that shit in here :uhoh:

    [youtube]4QR6u_9m5lY[/youtube]
     
  • "comrade_mario" said:
    How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece


    The Bitter Irish hating on COOL BRITANNIA!
     
  • "comrade_mario" said:
    How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece



    go away you fucking idiot

    this documentary was good, but ended on a depressing note

    I mean what's happened in pop music since Britpop died? we've basically had about 12 years of insipid shit like Robbie Williams and X-Factor winners

    With the Tories back in and pop music in the doldrums, one would imagine a new wave will be around in a few years, and will probably sound a lot different to britpop, even if it shares the original mindset

    It certainly won't be "grime", which was invented solely for middle class hipsters to claim to be down wiv da kids

    It was quite something to grow up during the Britpop era, and if you were born after about 1982 you didn't grow up during Britpop BTW FWIW THX

    first time going to Peach and taking pills :eek: then spending Saturday in the pub listening to Oasis and playing pool :smug:

    No fucking "tweeting" and "facbooking" for us cool cats, we actually experienced life rather than created fantasy existences to impress people we never saw
     
  • Dubstep/UK Funky/Deep House has played the part of Britpop in the last 10 years, Meph & Ket instead of weed and pills

    except it wasn't plastered all over the front pages of Smash Hits magazine so you old timers wouldn't have noticed

    capiche?


    ps, documentary was ok, have to agree with Mario, seemed as if it was made for people with no point of reference to Britpop at all, rather than being insightful and full of anecdotes. still a good watch

    never realised Damien Hirst directed the Country House video
     
  • "Bungles Brother" said:
    Dubstep/UK Funky/Deep House has played the part of Britpop in the last 10 years, Meph & Ket instead of weed and pills


    No it hasn't, those are all niches. Britpop was......er...pop

    For the record, I don't think music has just been shit through that time, there have been plenty of bands worth listening to

    There just isn't a cohesive movement of truly revolutionary pop music that everyone can enjoy
     
  • "Bungles Brother" said:

    never realised Damien Hirst directed the Country House video


    One of the reasons Coxon had a gay hipster breakdown in 1999 iirc :lol:

    Brewing the hatred of Damon and Alex for over 5 years :adore:
     
  • "Paulie Walnuts" said:
    [quote="Bungles Brother"]Dubstep/UK Funky/Deep House has played the part of Britpop in the last 10 years, Meph & Ket instead of weed and pills


    No it hasn't, those are all niches. Britpop was......er...pop

    For the record, I don't think music has just been shit through that time, there have been plenty of bands worth listening to

    There just isn't a cohesive movement of truly revolutionary pop music that everyone can enjoy[/quote]

    You're both right imo.

    There have obviously been popular music scenes but nothing has captured the national psyche in the way that britpop did - everyone in the UK felt part of it, with dubstep etc there are millions of people outside of London and other hotbeds of the scene that have no idea about it and very little sense of belonging.
     
  • 90's indie bands that weren't covered but were the roots from which Britpop sprang;

    Verve
    The Charlatans
    ?
     
  • "Paulie Walnuts" said:
    90's indie bands that weren't covered but were the roots from which Britpop sprang;

    Verve
    The Charlatans
    ?


    they covered the roses so need for the charlatans imo
     
  • "Some Friendly" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ooh eee oohh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bong >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stone Roses albums

    I take your point though
     
  • Echo and the Bunnymen
    Manics
    Teenage Fanclub
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Echobelly
    Gene
    Kulashaker
    Ash
    Dodgy
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Placebo
    Super Furry Animals
     
  • My brother bought a load of the old Shine albums the other day :adore:
     
  • Carter USM
     
  • "Paulie Walnuts" said:
    [quote="comrade_mario"]How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece



    go away you fucking idiot

    this documentary was good, but ended on a depressing note

    I mean what's happened in pop music since Britpop died? we've basically had about 12 years of insipid shit like Robbie Williams and X-Factor winners

    With the Tories back in and pop music in the doldrums, one would imagine a new wave will be around in a few years, and will probably sound a lot different to britpop, even if it shares the original mindset

    It certainly won't be "grime", which was invented solely for middle class hipsters to claim to be down wiv da kids

    It was quite something to grow up during the Britpop era, and if you were born after about 1982 you didn't grow up during Britpop BTW FWIW THX

    first time going to Peach and taking pills :eek: then spending Saturday in the pub listening to Oasis and playing pool :smug:

    No fucking "tweeting" and "facbooking" for us cool cats, we actually experienced life rather than created fantasy existences to impress people we never saw[/quote]

    There's more to music than the mainstream, kidda.
     
  • Carter more late 80s imo - but Sherrif Fatman is epic.

    Also I have these on CD - might sell them though based on this:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brit-Box-Va ... l_2#disc_2
     
  • "HIV+" said:
    [quote="Paulie Walnuts"][quote="comrade_mario"]How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece



    go away you fucking idiot

    this documentary was good, but ended on a depressing note

    I mean what's happened in pop music since Britpop died? we've basically had about 12 years of insipid shit like Robbie Williams and X-Factor winners

    With the Tories back in and pop music in the doldrums, one would imagine a new wave will be around in a few years, and will probably sound a lot different to britpop, even if it shares the original mindset

    It certainly won't be "grime", which was invented solely for middle class hipsters to claim to be down wiv da kids

    It was quite something to grow up during the Britpop era, and if you were born after about 1982 you didn't grow up during Britpop BTW FWIW THX

    first time going to Peach and taking pills :eek: then spending Saturday in the pub listening to Oasis and playing pool :smug:

    No fucking "tweeting" and "facbooking" for us cool cats, we actually experienced life rather than created fantasy existences to impress people we never saw[/quote]

    There's more to music than the mainstream, kidda.[/quote]

    Missing the point I was making :spaz:
     
  • Teenage Fanclub :poundit:
     
  • "Volvo" said:
    My brother bought a load of the old Shine albums the other day :adore:


    If you pirate them for me I will suck you off.

    I am DEADLY serious.
     
  • "Paulie Walnuts" said:
    [quote="comrade_mario"]How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece



    go away you fucking idiot

    this documentary was good, but ended on a depressing note

    I mean what's happened in pop music since Britpop died? we've basically had about 12 years of insipid shit like Robbie Williams and X-Factor winners

    With the Tories back in and pop music in the doldrums, one would imagine a new wave will be around in a few years, and will probably sound a lot different to britpop, even if it shares the original mindset

    It certainly won't be "grime", which was invented solely for middle class hipsters to claim to be down wiv da kids

    It was quite something to grow up during the Britpop era, and if you were born after about 1982 you didn't grow up during Britpop BTW FWIW THX

    first time going to Peach and taking pills :eek: then spending Saturday in the pub listening to Oasis and playing pool :smug:

    No fucking "tweeting" and "facbooking" for us cool cats, we actually experienced life rather than created fantasy existences to impress people we never saw[/quote]

    Lucky I was born in 1981 than you insipid twat.

    And you didn't live life to the full just because you weren't on Facebook, more you were some lonely plum with a handful of friends who only found 'new' music when NME or Vox told you who to listen to on Sunday mornings when you were retching from the shite quality pills you would have been taken in the mid to late 90s
     
  • he got them off ebay for like £1 each :sifu:

    I will see what I can do.
     
  • LOVE YOU
     
  • "comrade_mario" said:
    [quote="Paulie Walnuts"][quote="comrade_mario"]How is this anyone's favourite documentary ever?

    Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Britpop and loved this but it's hardly in the same sport, never mind ballpark, as the likes of 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi', 'Taxi To The Dark Side', 'Man On Wire' etc.

    Even for music documentaries it's more of a fluff piece



    go away you fucking idiot

    this documentary was good, but ended on a depressing note

    I mean what's happened in pop music since Britpop died? we've basically had about 12 years of insipid shit like Robbie Williams and X-Factor winners

    With the Tories back in and pop music in the doldrums, one would imagine a new wave will be around in a few years, and will probably sound a lot different to britpop, even if it shares the original mindset

    It certainly won't be "grime", which was invented solely for middle class hipsters to claim to be down wiv da kids

    It was quite something to grow up during the Britpop era, and if you were born after about 1982 you didn't grow up during Britpop BTW FWIW THX

    first time going to Peach and taking pills :eek: then spending Saturday in the pub listening to Oasis and playing pool :smug:

    No fucking "tweeting" and "facbooking" for us cool cats, we actually experienced life rather than created fantasy existences to impress people we never saw[/quote]

    Lucky I was born in 1981 than you insipid twat.

    And you didn't live life to the full just because you weren't on Facebook, more you were some lonely plum with a handful of friends who only found 'new' music when NME or Vox told you who to listen to on Sunday mornings when you were retching from the shite quality pills you would have been taken in the mid to late 90s[/quote]

    this cunt :lol:
     
  • Who buys records anymore?

    And if no one buys them who the fuck is going to pay for making them!? Or at least pay for the time it takes to develop acts, bring on talent and produce quality. I reckon you get what you pay for.
     
  • bandcamp imo
     
  • the music industry has changed its process, instead of giving hot prospect bands tons of money and fame in the hope it sparks a following they now use a gradual process of elimination like X Factor etc - or starting small with manufactured groups that are tied to very loose contracts that are easy to cancel

    bands are more likely to split up, change musical direction - what they want now are single acts or people so hungry for fame they just blindly follow orders

    when was the last time you heard of a guitar based band being signed to a large label deal? they all sign smaller independent deals because they know they'll get more freedom and not be told what PR they should be doing
     
  • people actually comparing dubstep to britpop :lol: :uhoh:

    you missed it lads, get over it,

    screeches and warps.
     
  • "Turnip Heid" said:
    people actually comparing dubstep to britpop :lol: :uhoh:

    you missed it lads, get over it,

    screeches and warps.


    the very notion of it all :lol:
     
  • Underrated songs of the 90's

    #1

    [youtube]6NtqA5zywQA[/youtube]

    I MET MY MAKER I MADE HIM CRY :adore:
     
  • I've spent the last few days listening to the Superfurries and Suede. Both bands are excellent.
     

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion