Wh is England so shit?
  • 2.1 class english graduate and ican't even get a job after 3 years? awful country.

• 58 Comments sorted by
  • "Burnt Not Beat" said:
    2.1 class english graduate and ican't even get a job after 3 years? awful country.

Likely the source of your problem right there.

• I think you're the one who is shit.

I walk into jobs the second I start interviewing, and I'm a fucking mentalist.

• "Burnt Not Beat" said:
    2.1 class english graduate and ican't even get a job after 3 years? awful country.

with such a niche degree like that its a tragedy mate :|

• the entitled student class :lol:

pick up a trowel and learn a trade you appalling sack of shit

• This wind up, I like it.

• i imagine having a degree these days is probably a negative, they're so easy to get and its a sign to an employer that you'd rather get pissed every night for 4 years than do work,

now, getting pissed every night and still putting a shift in at work, thats a sign of a good worker :smug:

• I dont want to sound like that KD Land lookalike cunt serts, but I think completely destroying the prestige of higher education and entirely devaluing university degrees has to be Nu-Labours most incredible achievement

• "Now University isn't exclusive any more!!!"

No, so all the kids who would have had to fuck off and get jobs now roll up for 3 years on the smash and all the kids who want to learn have to pay five times as much :adore:

• "Mingeford" said:
    "Now University isn't exclusive any more!!!"

No, so all the kids who would have had to fuck off and get jobs now roll up for 3 years on the smash and all the kids who want to learn have to pay five times as much :adore:

fuck me, the exact same thing happened here :uhoh:

so now you can get some cunt with an arts degree to colour in a picture for you, but you'll struggle to find some cunt to panelbeat your car

• Well it isn't really any government's fault that capitalism has failed the way it has.

If the housing and credit bubble hadn't basically popped (lets face it that is what has happened), and (amongst other things) the government wasn't forced to prop up the electorate's house price increases, via the banks, by cutting essential services to poor people, the jobs would be there at graduate level.

Panel beating a car is not a scalable occupation, but designing a panel beating machine is. Degrees are only devalued because of the glut of young people with them without work.

• University is still exclusive - things have just moved on. 40 Years ago ANY degree was good now only a solid degree from a Russell Group uni has any real value.

• You could just have both like me

• I've always been of the opinion arts degrees are generally about as valuable as toilet paper.

• Bit of a stereotype. Econ degrees are good.

• "Barry Biceps" said:
    Degrees are only devalued because of the glut of young people with them without work.

Trying to justify his university years to himself :lol: ^^^^ you wasted your time mate

"Barry Biceps" said:
    Degrees are only devalued because of the glut of young people with them without work.

No they're not, they're devalued because they're easy and everyone has one

Most are held in subjects of no actual use to people in the real world

Well it isn't really any government's fault that capitalism has failed the way it has.

It's entirely all governments faults. :lol:

• "Santa's Bulging Sack" said:
    Bit of a stereotype. Econ degrees are good.

commerce degree no?

• :mashed: The debate rages on.

All I know is, a lot of decent entry level jobs need a degree to even apply.

Therefore they aren't useless.

However people do fine with and without them. Suck my willy lol

• people should go back to doing degrees in proper subjects like maths, physics, biology and shit if they want one that means something.

if you want to be a plumber you don't learn about vacuum cleaners for 3 years.

not sure why people go out doing degrees in any old nonsense and expect jobs in the real world because of them.

• can you get a degree in shit?

well the atmosphere has changed: pour example'

I got a degree in journalism - it is now the case that it's almost impossible to get a half decent job in journalism without a degree.

Times have changed, so if you want to be a journalist - you kinda have to get the degree.

I'd assume that it's the same with almost all subjects of this nature.

• Probably because they're stuck in the past and going even further backwards whilst everybody else moves forwards, 442 in 2013? Fuck off.

• You did, didn't you baity?

Oh wait IIRC you got a shit degree which is probably not the same thing.

You did, didn't you baity?

Oh wait IIRC you got a shit degree which is probably not the same thing.

What degree did you get?

Did they do teaching degrees in the early 80s?

• I have an 2:1 Finance undergrad from Aberdeen and a PGCE with 60 Masters credits in Business Ed.

• And you are doing fingerpainting with 4 year olds in Taiwan? :lol:

Baits 1 - Bosh 0

• I am teaching business and economics at GCSE and A-Level actually :thumbup:

• You have to admit, considering you've got a decent degree - that's just about the worst job you could have. :lol:

Disclaimer: I have a worse job at the moment :hohu:

• :uhoh:

It's the job I wanted - given that I gave up my career in insurance to do post grad and become a teacher I think it's awesome. I genuine love my job plus I get awesome holidays.

• Cool man. To be honest I don't know how it pays, what kind of person you are, what the benefits of the job are (aside from holidays and stuff) so I can't really comment. If I felt inclined to teach and I was qualified for it and thought I'd love it, I'd go right ahead and do it too.

I do however, need a poo.

• I'm considering getting a teaching diploma after my degree and becoming a science teacher tbf. Though I'll see if that is still the case when I graduate.

• I never went to university and it didn't do me any harm.

Although I'm probably paid less than a bus driver.

• "MONL" said:
    I'm considering getting a teaching diploma after my degree and becoming a science teacher tbf. Though I'll see if that is still the case when I graduate.

You should science teachers are in high demand

[quote="MONL"]I'm considering getting a teaching diploma after my degree and becoming a science teacher tbf. Though I'll see if that is still the case when I graduate.

You should science teachers are in high demand[/quote]
    Its in my thoughts anyway. Though it would be one of the less lucrative areas of work I could get into from my degree, having done some teaching/tutoring, I do really like helping others and educating. So, will keep my mind open as to it.

• 2.1 in Philosophy & Media Studies :coruchy2:

• Good grief mario, that makes simmo's BTEC in Dilapidated French Architecture seem almost credible in comparison :lol:

• It's not like he uses either on here

• We don't need any more teachers ffs

• there's a load of unemployed teachers over here and we are decades away from building any new schools too :lol:

• You could literally do your GCSEs and A Levels just by using Wikipedia.

Teachers are Chinese whisperers of facts, there to share the misery of their lives with captive children.

• "Paulie Walnuts" said:
    the entitled student class :lol:

pick up a trowel and learn a trade you appalling sack of shit

Came in to post this :lol:

Even I got a job straight after uni and I'm pure scum who had bottles of piss thrown at him by his own father :lol:

• It actually genuinely winds me up seeing everyone say "gonna b a teacher lol"

We wouldn't have a fucking tonne of pointless further education if the system wasn't spammed up with thousands upon thousands of teachers. It's just the army for middle class kids.

• "Barry Biceps" said:
    Well it isn't really any government's fault that capitalism has failed the way it has.

If the housing and credit bubble hadn't basically popped (lets face it that is what has happened), and (amongst other things) the government wasn't forced to prop up the electorate's house price increases, via the banks, by cutting essential services to poor people, the jobs would be there at graduate level.

Panel beating a car is not a scalable occupation, but designing a panel beating machine is. Degrees are only devalued because of the glut of young people with them without work.

You're making party political points and attacking a recent Tory initiative as an excuse for being a self entitled student who thinks he should be able to walk into his dream job with his ten a penny degree. How have these things prevented you from getting a job for 3 years? Do you even know where your local job centre is? What essential services have been cut btw?

• "Mingeford" said:
    It's just the army for middle class kids.

:lol: some truth in that

from my school friends it seems to be all the thick people who tried really hard to get c's that have become teachers, genuinely fear for the kids taught by them

• We could ask Bosh about this but he's probably fucked off home by now.

• On holiday :smug:

But there are lots of shit teachers and it has been seen as a soft option for people who can't get real jobs but those people tend not to stay in the job for long as it is a lot of work and can be pretty stressful at times (especially if you're shit at it). The previous government are to blame though - They gave me almost £5k to train as a teacher and other subjects were getting £6k and £9k as training bursaries plus upto £6k as golden hellos after training. I know quite a few teachers that plan on bailing when the economy picks up though so it will rebalance within 5 years I think.

• first class degree in Industrial Design :toppa:

• First class degree from Harvard in astronaut moon studies.

I am a big dogg. :adore: Baits.

• I thought you had a 3rd in journalism from Solent?

• "Gary Sparrow" said:
    [quote="Barry Biceps"]Well it isn't really any government's fault that capitalism has failed the way it has.

You're making party political points and attacking a recent Tory initiative as an excuse for being a self entitled student who thinks he should be able to walk into his dream job with his ten a penny degree. How have these things prevented you from getting a job for 3 years? Do you even know where your local job centre is? What essential services have been cut btw?[/quote]

Eh? :hohu:

• I have a 2:1 in computer science. If I didn't have this, I wouldn't have gotten my first job along my career path. However, given the experience and level I am at now the degree is irrelevant.

You see that's how it works. The best entry level jobs have a degree as an entry requirement, but the more senior jobs are experience related! So basically I can be in a senior role at quite a young age, where as some chav chancer will take years to work their way up by doing the shit jobs that no one wants! They also have to be really good and motivated to stand out... This takes far longer than the 3-4 years at uni!

• "chinese elephant man" said:
    I have a 2:1 in computer science. If I didn't have this, I wouldn't have gotten my first job along my career path. However, given the experience and level I am at now the degree is irrelevant.

You see that's how it works. The best entry level jobs have a degree as an entry requirement, but the more senior jobs are experience related! So basically I can be in a senior role at quite a young age, where as some chav chancer will take years to work their way up by doing the shit jobs that no one wants! They also have to be really good and motivated to stand out... This takes far longer than the 3-4 years at uni!

Why are you posting in the style of milkyjoe? (!)

All those jobs with 'must have a degree blah blah' as a requirement is not set in stone btw. I work for a large, well known company who you think would be sticklers for procedure yet 3 out of 5 'graduate' level kids we took on last year didnt actually have degrees, despite the job spec saying it was a requirement. No company would turn away a bright kid who can demonstrate he is motivated and possesses the aptitude required just because he doesnt have some random, easily obtainable degree.

Fuck me, simmo has a degree, I dont see many companies lining up to give that cunt a way in :lol:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion